Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Hooray for the Stereotype


When I first moved to the USA almost eight years ago, I would never have considered myself especially engaged with my level of Britishness. Over the years it has crept up on me, initially in a small way. I would find myself talking about bacon sandwiches much more often than I used to and making sure I had a good stock of jelly babies (if you haven't tried them I recommend you do so). The next thing I know I have subscribed to Acorn T.V. and I am actually starting to have an interest in the Royal Family.

Now, I want to clarify, I love the USA and especially living down here in Texas. The people are friendly, the scenery is breathtaking and the food delicious, but I have come to believe that all Brits who live here are gradually molded into a stereotype and we don't even realize it's happening.

The first thing I noticed was that Microsoft Office was determined to alter my spelling by underlining all the words with abrasive red lines until I remove the extra "U" that America does not agree with. However stubbornly I may cling to honouring our way of spelling, eventually the red lines wore me down.

Secondly, is tea drinking. As an enthusiastic tea drinker, I certainly did not rebel against this, but the disappointment on a servers face when I don't order a cup of "Rosie Lee" is heartbreaking.

Thirdly, and some would say most importantly, via the mystery fiction that is increasingly available in the USA. Be it books, movies or television we are all immersed in a world where attending a country garden party is a sure fire way to get yourself killed. Especially if one has a chance of winning a largest vegetable competition. We the experienced readers and viewers also know that unless the sleuth has enjoyed at least two cups of tea they will have no chance of bringing the killer to justice.

The fact that British mystery stories are becoming so popular in the USA is a fantastic thing. BBC America and PBS pump episodes of Midsomer Murders, Father Brown, Agatha Raisin and Marple into our homes and a large number of people enjoy it enough to also require streaming services like Acorn TV to be offered. Even in Hollywood there seems to be a reawakening of interest in the works of Agatha Christie.

I hope this popularity with the mystery fiction continues to grow and translates back into the written word. As well as the numerous works of non Brit authors, such as Charles Todd, it would be rewarding to introduce a new generation to the likes of Albert Campion, Lord Peter Wimsey, Gervase Fen et al. In a world that is governed by social media and 24 hour news, sometimes it is pleasant to escape to a nice clean murder and a cup of tea.









No comments:

Post a Comment